Home > Frequently Asked Questions

A College or University is not responsible for damage to or theft of student property. Most schools strongly encourage students and parents to consider purchasing coverage such as that offered by Gallagher and Allianz.

Questions and Answers Regarding Our Student Personal Property Protector Plus® Insurance

Collapse all | Expand all
Property Coverage Questions
Where can I download a copy of the policy before I buy it?
You may download and read the policy here.
Doesn't my homeowners policy cover my child's property?
Homeowner Policies do not cover breakage and liquid spills and other accidental damages, which are common causes of loss. Also the Homeowner policy deductibles are generally high enough that there is little to no loss recovery for smartphones, tablets and many laptops. For a detailed comparison, please go here.
If my homeowners policy provides coverage, why would I want to purchase a separate policy?
The Gallagher / Allianz policy applies first regardless of other insurance. It also covers things a homeowner's policy does not and affords greater recovery using far lower deductibles than a standard Homeowners policy. The homeowner's policy was designed for your home. The Gallagher policy is designed for College Student property. For a detailed comparison, please go here.
Will Gallagher's policy cover property if my child resides off-campus or in an apartment?
Yes. We cover student property anywhere in the world as long as your child has registered to become a part-time or full-time student.
If someone stole or damaged my child's property would the Student Personal Property Protector Plus® cover that loss?
Yes... unless the theft was from a vehicle that was not locked and clearly forcefully entered. For theft claims, be sure to report the incident to a local Police Department and obtain a copy of the police report. For damage claims, please obtain a repair estimate that describes the extent of damage.
If my child lost something, is that covered?
No. Items misplaced or lost, not recalling where or when things happened are not covered. Items stolen by theft, burglary or robbery are covered. A police report must be filed for these type losses.
Will Gallagher's policy cover property that my son or daughter borrows from the school if that property happens to be stolen or damaged?
Yes. It covers property in the care, custody or control of the insured. Your homeowners policy may not provide this coverage.
Do I need to provide a list of inventory before buying the policy?
No, this is an unscheduled policy. We will only ask for proof of ownership at the time of filing a claim. Proof of ownership includes any financial records showing purchase of the item such as receipts, credit card statements, copies of manuals, photographs of the items taken before the date of loss, serial # of the item, and/or, original box or packaging of the item.
Are there any sub-limits on the Gallagher policy?
Yes. Jewelry, art and musical instruments are limited to a maximum of $2,000, unless endorsed onto the policy and supported with receipts or appraisal at the time of filing a claim. You will be given an opportunity to "schedule" jewelry, art and musical instruments that are beyond the $2000 limit when you order or renew your policy online. Coverage over $2,000 is not automatic and requires prior approval from CSI.
Insurance coverage of bicycles is limited to a maximum of $2,000. Please note that bicycle coverage is not available to University of Southern California.
If my child travels overseas during semester breaks or between school years, is their property covered?
Yes. With Gallagher, travel anywhere in the world is covered 365 days of the year regardless of when, where, why or how you travel.
Is this policy Replacement Cost Coverage?
Yes. The policy will pay the actual cost to repair or replace property with like kind and quality property.
Does this policy cover Bodily Injury or Property Damage Liability for which the student is legally liable?
The Student Personal Property Policy does not provide Liability Insurance. We offer a separate liability policy at a low cost. You will be asked during the policy order process if you want this coverage. A parent's Homeowners policy may also offer coverage depending on the student's status.
What is the difference between the Property and Liability Insurance Policies?
The Student Personal Property Plus policy was designed to protect your property and property entrusted to your care. The Liability policy is to protect you from claims made against you for bodily injury or property damage to other people or their property for which you are found liable. The property policy covers your property everywhere in the world. The Liability policy applies to claims made against you while a resident at the location shown on your policy as the residence location.
Will this policy pay if I have other insurance in place?
Yes. This student policy applies first regardless of other insurance.
Is this policy coverage for 12 calendar months or just while school is in session?
The personal property policy is in force 365 days of the year, even during semester and holiday breaks. The liability policy is in force while the student resides in the residence premises shown on the policy.
Do you offer policies shorter than 1 year?
No, but you may request a cancellation for a partial refund if you decide part way through the policy term that you no longer wish to have coverage.
If I renew my policy early, will I have overlapping policy coverage?
No, if you renew your policy via the Renew Policy link, your "renewed" policy will automatically start when your "old" policy ends if you renew it before it expires. You may renew your policy up to 60 days before it is set to expire.
If the old pipes of a school's residence hall burst and are responsible for flooding or significant water damage, will this property policy coverage pay for the damage to my belongings?
Yes, this policy will insure your damaged belongings as a result of negligence by the school or another student.
What do you mean by "loss"?
Any incident in which an insurable item or items are damaged or stolen.
If I sell something to someone and they fail to pay for the property is that a covered Loss?
This Loss is a contractual dispute over the sale of property and not theft of property. It is a voluntary parting from the property. It is not a theft loss, therefore, it's not a covered Loss.
Do you offer "family" coverage plans??
No, each student needs their own individual policy.
Does this policy insure my valuables in case of an earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster?
Yes. This policy will protect your valuables from damage from earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding, and other natural disasters.
Does this policy include tracking software for my computer?
No, please see our page on Computer Security. If you do have active tracking on your computer, we will waive the claim deductible on computer theft claims.
Does this provide coverage for accidental damage to laptops, cameras, cellphones, etc?
Yes, all of your possessions will be insured against accidental damage. If the item is repairable, an estimate of the repair will be needed.
We just purchased a new computer, cellphone, etc. Can we get these insured now, even before school starts?
Yes. When you purchase your policy online, you may select an effective date between the date of purchase and 60 days into the future. Your valuables will be insured even if school has not yet begun, provided you have enrolled at the school.
I don't need my policy to start until school begins. Can I set a start date sometime in the future?
Yes. You can purchase a policy now and set its start effective up to 60 days in the future.
Does this policy provide coverage for tablet devices such as the Apple iPad, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, and Amazon Kindle?
Yes. All of your personal computing devices will be covered by this policy.
What if I'm going to graduate soon?
The policies are only issued on an annual basis. The policy will be good until expiration as long as you were a student at time of purchase. You can also request cancellation of the policy if you wish upon graduation.
What is the process of filing a claim?
In the event of property theft or damage, file a claim on our homepage by clicking Login. Find the link to File Your Claim and log in using your policy number. Answer all of the empty fields in the online claim form and submit your claim. This will open a claim directly in our system and you will receive a confirmation email that will include detailed instructions on how to complete your claim for settlement.
How quickly will I receive my claim settlement check?
Once all supporting documentation of your claim has been received, our claims process can generate a settlement check within 30 days.
Can I receive my purchased policy online?
Yes. Most policies (unless you have "scheduled" items) are automatically available and you may download or print your policy, including its declarations page, after purchasing.
Will the policy automatically renew?
No, we will endeavor to send a renewal notice before your policy expires. We will only renew the policy upon receipt of payment.
Can this policy be cancelled or non-renewed?
As with all insurance contracts, you may cancel by sending written notice and returning your policy. Very few policies are cancelled or non-renewed by the company. The few that are usually result from an unusual frequency of claims.
How can I cancel my policy?
If you return the policy within the first 30 days and request Cancellation as of inception, we will return your full premium. Otherwise return premium will be calculated on a pro-rata basis subject to a minimum charge of $45. Policy cancellation requests should be in writing and sent by email or written letter to us.
Who underwrites Gallagher's student insurance policies?
Gallagher's student property insurance program is underwritten by Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (AGCS), which is part of one of the world's largest property and casualty insurer - Allianz SE. This company is A+ rated from A.M. Best - among the highest ratings an insurer can earn for financial stability. For more information, please visit www.agcs.allianz.com.
Liability Coverage Questions
Which students might need Liability Insurance?
Independent students, International students, students not covered under a parent's Homeowner Policy or students required by a property manager to show separate insurance all might need Liability Insurance. US students who are covered under a parent's homeowner's policy usually do not additional liability coverage, although we still recommend that they obtain our separate student personal property coverage.
How do I order Liability Coverage?
You may order liability coverage at the same time you order your property coverage, if you know the physical address of your residence while attending school. Otherwise, you can come back to this website later and add it to your student property policy by clicking Customer Login in the menu above when you know the physical address of your residence.
What if I want Liability Coverage without having to order Property Coverage?
What is the difference between the Property and Liability Insurance Policies?
The Student Personal Property Plus policy was designed to protect your property and property entrusted to your care. The Liability policy is to protect you from claims made against you for bodily injury or property damage to other people or their property for which you are found liable. While he property policy covers your property everywhere in the world, the Liability policy applies to claims made against you while a resident at the location shown on your policy as the residence location.
Does this policy cover claims made against me?
If Liability coverage is purchased, the policy covers damages for bodily injury or property damage for a covered occurrence for which an insured becomes liable.
Who is the named insured on this policy?
An insured is the person named on the declarations page and that person's family members. Family members are persons related to the insured by blood, marriage or adoption who also reside at your household. If you would like to include room mates that do not fit the previous description to your policy, please contact us after ordering with your policy number and their names, mailing address, phone number, birth dates, and email addresses. Up to four additional insured may be included with your policy.
Can I include my landlord as an "Additional Insured" or "Interested Party" on my policy?
Our liability policies provide protection for your landlord against certain losses such as fire and smoke damage caused by your negligence. However, the policy cannot be modified to specifically show your landlord as an additional insured or interested party. However, we can issue an evidence of insurance letter with your landlord as an Interested Party, so they will be notified if your coverage is terminated. Contact us if you require such evidence. Please include your policy number and their name, mailing address, phone number, and email address.
If I have any questions about the insurance protection offered by this policy, how do I get answers?
You can contact our office at 888-411-4911 for assistance with any questions regarding the insurance protection afforded by this policy. You can also email your questions to info@CollegeStudentInsurance.com.
How do I file a claim?
All Personal Property claims should be filed on line at www.CollegeStudentInsurance.com.
All Liability claims should be reported immediately to Markel American Insurance Company, PO Box 906, Pewaukee, WI 53072-0906 or by calling (800) 236-2862. You should include your name, policy number, description of what happened, the name and contact information for the party claiming injury and the names and contact information for all witnesses.
You should also notify us at claims@CollegeStudentInsurance.com providing the same information.
Who underwrites Gallagher's student liability policies?
Gallagher's student liability insurance program is underwrittenby Markel American Insurance Company, Inc, a Fortune 1000 company. This company is rated "A Excellent" from A.M. Best - among the highest ratings an insurer can earn for financial stability. For more information, please visit www.MarkelCorp.com. .
How can I cancel my policy?
You may cancel your policy by notifying us, in writing, stating the date on which you want coverage terminated. The date must be the current day or a future date. It cannot be a prior date. You should email your request to Info@CollegeStudentInsurance.com and show your policy # and insured name in the subject line. The notice should indicate the reason for requesting cancellation. You may also mail your request to us at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., 1050 Crown Pointe Parkway, Suite 600, Atlanta, GA 30338.
Other Questions
Where can I download a property inventory form?
It is wise to keep an inventory list with this information for your records and it will speed the claim process if you do have a loss. You can download our property inventory form here.

The policy, not this FAQ section, is the contract of insurance and all coverage is determined by the policy.

© Copyright 2018 Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
  |  Contact Us   |  Privacy Policy   |  Legal Notice